MyDataHelps Designer employs a sophisticated team- and institution-based access control system. A single individual may be assigned to multiple teams, projects, or institutions within a workspace, based on their specific responsibilities. For example, a coordinator in a multi-site study may be assigned to the study team at their specific site or institution, meaning they have access only to participant information at their location.
Setting up Teams
User permissions within MyDataHelps Designer are controlled by a user’s assigned team. In order to get started with permissions, you’ll want to create teams and then assign permissions to those teams.
An “Everyone” team exists for all workspaces, with some defaulted permissions that you should review and potentially adjust. For a workspace with many users, it is recommended to remove all permissions from the “Everyone” team until users have been assigned to a more specific team.
Creating a Team
- From Workspace Settings, click on "Teams”.
- To add a new team, click “Add Team”.
- Provide a name for your new team, e.g. Study Coordinators.
- Check off all of the appropriate permissions for this team. See below for an overview of permissions, including recommended teams & permissions.
- Click “Save” once you are satisfied with the selected permissions.
- If necessary, you can edit a team’s permissions by clicking the red trash can icon. If you need to delete a team, click the icon.
Demonstration: Creating a Team
Now that you have a new team, you’ll want to assign permissions.
- Workspace Permissions: Apply to all notifications and settings within the workspace.
- All Project Permissions: Apply to all projects within the workspace.
- Project-specific Permissions: Apply only to specified projects. Your workspace must have projects for this to be available. Select “Add Permissions for a Project” and “Add Project” to enable.
Segment-specific Permissions: Apply only to specific segments within a project. To apply these permissions you must:
- Have projects that have segments.
- Have “View/Manage Segment Participants” checked within the specified project.
Institution-specific Permissions: Apply to only specific institutions within a project. To apply these permissions you must:
- Have institutions in your project.
- Have "View/Manage All Institutions" unchecked within All Project Permissions.
Demonstration: Segment-Specific Permissions
The following tables summarize what each permission controls within the workspace/project.
|Access the notifications screen, and manage all notifications for the workspace.
|View and edit workspace settings, users, and teams.
|Access the surveys screen, and view and edit all surveys in this workspace.
|View and update data export settings, and view the export history.
|Delete participants from a project.
|Add and/or invite participants to a project.
|Create and edit projects, update project settings, create survey schedules, create segments, and select sensor data to collect.
|View the project reporting dashboard, which contains data on enrollment, email notifications, and survey completions.
|Invoke batch actions (send survey or notification, close survey, or set custom field) on participant segments.
|View/Manage Participants in All Segments
View and edit participants across all segments.
|View/Manage Participants in All Institutions
View and edit participants across all institutions.
If unchecked, specify which institutions a user can access at the user-level. See Institutions for more information.
|View/Manage Segment Participants
|View and edit participants in specified segment(s). Only available within project-specific permissions.
The following teams are recommended for any given workspace.
Experience and Skills Recommendations
Create and build surveys
Create and build, review/publish, and schedule surveys in production
Create and test notifications
Manage a specific project, including the ability to inspect participant data, schedule surveys, and change global project settings
Add participants to one or more projects and send them an email invitation to join the project, or update participants in bulk
Access to view and manage participants / PHI, including:
Data Export Manager
Ability to manage data export settings and download previously exported data
IT Experience with setting up data transfer and/ workspace approval/training to handle large amounts of PHI
After setting up your teams, you’re ready to add users to those teams and edit institution permissions.
- From Workspace Settings, click “User Access”.
- In the bottom right, enter the username or email address for the user and click “Add User to Workspace”.
- Check the end user being added is correct and click “Confirm”.
- Select the appropriate team from the “Add to Team” dropdown.
- If you are running a multi-site project, select the appropriate institution from the “Institution” drop-down.
- If necessary, click the gray trash can item to delete a user. You can also click the “X” in their assigned team or institution to remove them from that team or institution.
Users can be added to multiple teams and institutions to ensure they have all necessary permissions. For example, if you are using our suggested teams, you would likely want to assign someone on the Project Administration team to the Study Coordination and Data Management teams as well so that they can oversee the project, interact with participants when needed, and export data. When a new workspace is created, the "Everyone" team will have the "View/Manage Participants in All Institutions" permission selected, meaning users will default to having access to all institutions unless set-up otherwise.
Demonstration: Managing Users
In the event that an workspace’s ownership needs to be transitioned to another user, you can click the “Transfer Ownership” button next to the appropriate user.