Two-step verification (also known as Two-Factor Authentication or 2FA) is an important tool for protecting your MyDataHelps Designer account from unauthorized access. This article will review the necessary steps to enable two-step verification.
Table of Contents
Enabling Two-Step Verification
After setting your password and security questions during account registration, you'll be prompted to enable two-step verification. To do so:
- Download and install an authenticator app on your mobile device. There are many such apps available, and any one will work. Google Authenticator is a common choice, available for free on iOS or Android.
- When prompted in the authenticator app, you may either scan the barcode or enter the manual alphanumeric code from your MyDataHelps Designer profile page. These codes are personalized for each user, so you must use the codes from your account, not the sample below.
- Please note that the "Remind me Later" option is only available for accounts with projects that do not currently have participants. Once you have access to participant data, the "Remind me Later" option will no longer be available and you are required to enable two-step verification.
- The authenticator app will now show MyDataHelps Designer in the apps list, with a numeric key code that changes every 30 seconds.
- Enter the current code into the verification prompt in your MyDataHelps Designer profile page. Two-step verification is now enabled.
- Be sure to record and save your Recovery Codes. If you ever lose your device or access to your authenticator application, you'll need a recovery code to regain access to your account.
When two-step verification is enabled, MyDataHelps Designer will prompt you to enter the code from your authenticator app the next time you log in.
If you enable "Remember me for 30 days" on the login screen, you will not need to enter a code again for 30 days, as long as you're using the same computer and browser. Otherwise you will need to enter the code from your authenticator app every time you log in.
Updating your Authenticator
If you obtain a new device or authenticator app, you'll need to update your two-step verification:
- In MyDataHelps Designer, select "My Account -> Profile."
- Select the "Two-Step Verification" tab.
- Select "Disable Two-Step Verification".
- You'll immediately be prompted to re-enable two-step verification. Follow steps outlined above (Enabling two-step verification) to set up your new device and/or authenticator app.
Recovering a Lost Authenticator
If you cannot access your authenticator app (for example, if you lost your phone or uninstalled the app), you will not be able to log in to MyDataHelps Designer. Contact support to recover your account.