There may be instances where you would like to be alerted, either via email or text, of a change in participant status or survey response. This can be accomplished using segments and schedules. This article will use an example where a custom field is updated for a participant when they request to withdraw from the project via a survey.
There are three key pieces of configuration for coordinator notifications:
- Creating the notification that will be sent to the coordinator(s)
- Creating the segment to define what characteristics should trigger the notification to send
- Creating the schedule to send the coordinator notification each time a participant enters the segment
Creating the Notification
These should be created the same as any other project notification, and you can either utilize email or SMS notifications.
Please be mindful of including PHI or PII when sending coordinator emails or SMS notifications.
The example below includes the participant field for Participant Identifier. We recommend including “CoordinatorNotification” in the identifier to indicate that this is not a participant-facing notification.
Creating the Segment
The segment will filter for participants that should trigger a notification. In this example, we are filtering for participants where the custom field “Withdrawal” is NOT empty. This is because this field will remain empty until a participant completes a withdrawal request via survey.
Creating the Schedule
Once the notification and segment are created, you must create a schedule to send the notification to the coordinator’s email address or phone number.
- Create an “On Entering Segment” schedule.
- Select the segment previously created.
- Select your coordinator notification from the “Add Notification to Send” drop-down.
- Underneath “SEND TO,” select “A Specific Email Address.”
- Enter the coordinator’s or project team’s email address into the free text field.
- Click “Save.”